<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 30, 2004

Downlifting 

I'm continuing to read Frank Peretti's "Visitation," but I'm not sure I'll make it all the way through. The story is about, apparently, a false Christ figure who performs healings and knows people's minds and hearts. I say "apparently" because I'm not all the way through the book yet, but it seems clear that the book is dealing with all false things and a false christ. On the way, Peretti throws in everything and all that goes wrong with churches, from resistance to change to stubborn, prideful leaders, to hateful people and on and on... everything that's ever gone wrong in any church is thrown in with the story. Really, I'm just not at a point where such things are in any way uplifting or inspiring to read about... I find myself looking forward to the C.S. Lewis books, "The Screwtape Letters" and "Mere Christianity," which are waiting on my shelf.

I remember vividly, in college, reading Lewis' "Space Trilogy" and I'm sure his books will be more uplifting than this Peretti book.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



powered by FreeFind