<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Hail Mary 

I'm reading about Mary. If Catholic Faith is a balance of powers between the Bible, Tradition, and the Magisterium, then the teachings on Mary have very little to do with the Bible and rely almost fully on Tradition and teachings/writings of past Popes. I'm new to this, but here are a few of the notes I made while I read:

Mary is the burning bush.
Magnificat Lk 1:46-55
hyperdulia - special devotion to Mary
theophany - making God visible to Man
Annunciation - Gabriel telling Mary she's to be the Mother of Jesus
Teachings on Mary:
1. Theotokos (Greek for God-bearer, Mother of God)
2. Aeiparthenos (Ever-Virgin), Mary never had other children and never had relations with Joseph
3. Immaculate Conception, 1854
(1958 Lourdes, France "I am the Immaculate Conception")
4. Assumption of Mary into Heaven, 1950

M's: member, model, mother, mediatrix and messenger

Catholics believe that the Holy Spirit continues to unfold and deepen our
understanding of the truths of faith found in the Bible. I particulary found the Catechism teaching on Mary as Mother of all Christians comforting.

Since the Methodist faith is so tightly focused on the Bible and what it says, specifically the New Testament, and since I had/have grown skeptical of the skills of the leaders of the Methodist Church throughout its existance, I must force myself to backtrack. Since I don't seek to rebel against, but rather to accept my new faith, I must wrap my thoughts around believing and trusting Popes, past and present on this matter.

Just like wrapping my mind around the belief of the host as the actual, physical body of Jesus, the belief in the Immaculate Conception of Mary and her Assumption into Heaven will take me time and prayer.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



powered by FreeFind