<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Mr. Kerry became combative when told that some conservatives were criticizing him for being a Roman Catholic who supported policies, like abortion rights and same-sex unions, that are at odds with Catholic teaching.

When told conservatives are questioning his Catholic faith, John Kerry says,

"Who are they?" he demanded of his questioner. "Name them. Are
they the same legislators who vote for the death penalty, which is
in contravention of Catholic teaching?"

He added: "I'm not a church spokesman. I'm a legislator running for
president. My oath is to uphold the Constitution of the United States
in my public life. My oath privately between me and God was defined in
the Catholic church by Pius XXIII and Pope Paul VI in the Vatican II,
which allows for freedom of conscience for Catholics with respect to
these choices, and that is exactly where I am. And it is separate. Our
constitution separates church and state, and they should be reminded
of that."


OK. So now I have a subject for my next Pre-Catechumenate class. Vatican II says that each individual Catholic person has the freedom to decide for themselves whether abortion is right or wrong? Is Kerry relying on the ignorance of Protestants about Vatican II?

Update: George Neumayr at the American Spectator chimes in.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



powered by FreeFind