<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 03, 2004

Catholic School 

Last night was my first ever back-to-school night at a Catholic school. My older kids all went through public school and my kindergartener has just started in at our church school. Some terms are different, PTA is called something else... "HASA" for "Home and School Association." The school is much smaller than public school, and our priest spoke right up about sex problems other schools have been having and how our school will deal with and try to prevent such problems.

I must say, I saw many such problems when my kids were in middle school and high school in the public schools. Since the late 1990's, it has seemed to me that kids have been more and more out of control, sexually speaking, and that is one of the reasons we have gone private. I was pleased to hear the problem addressed publically and openly, unlike the public schools where it is swept under the rug and somewhat tolerated.

Our priest also spoke of what he expects of the kids during Mass, both at school and on the weekend. He asked for parents' help in training the children to behave and act properly. This is also a breath of fresh air, since religion is totally absent from discussion at public school.

My little girl and I are both learning about the Catholic Church. Each Wednesday, the kindergarteners meet first thing at the church and pray the rosary, learning the Hail Mary and the Our Father. She will have her Catholicism imbedded in her school days while I must focus on my own effort.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



powered by FreeFind