<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Unfocused 

The Catholic Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is flexible and adaptable. As a rather involved Methodist who has always enjoyed reading about other religions, I'm sure I could have pressed for a shorter initiation into the Catholic faith. I could have, after all, joined this RCIA class nearer to Lent and cut out months of classes. The thing is, though, this is serious business. I'm going through all the stages of RCIA, beginning with the Precatechumenate in March, where we informally questioned all things Cathlolic. I underwent the Rite of Acceptance in June where our sponsors, at the direction of the priest, performed the sign of the cross over our eyes, lips, ears, hands, heart feet to claim us for Christ. I've been going to RCIA classes ever since and have, at each week's Mass, been dismissed by the priest to study the gospel. In February I will undergo the next step, "The Rite of Election," where we will meet with the Bishop to become one of the Elect to be joining the church at Easter at the Rite of Initiation.

As we went through these steps again last evening at RCIA, I found myself still unfocused. I have not centered myself with the idea that the Eurcharist is the true body and blood of Jesus Christ and that I will be consuming it as if I were with the apostles at the last supper. I have not prepared myself yet for confession and the renunciation of my past life. I don't seek a shortcut out of these serious preparations, just the opposite, I need to spend more effort on coming to grips, coming to prayer, with my faith.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



powered by FreeFind