<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Through My Own Grievous Fault 

Well, I missed mass last evening. It was a Holy Day of Obligation, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary. I got home late, thought there was a mass at 7pm, but actually it had been at 5:30pm. I did sit alone in the church for awhile, though, and read the readings while a steward was cleaning up after mass.

There are 10 holy days of obligation in the Catholic Church:

The Immaculate Conception on December 8
Christmas on December 25
Mary, the Mother of God on January 1
Epiphany on January 6
St. Joseph on March 19
St. Peter and St. Paul on June 29
The Assumption of Mary on August 15
All Saints on November 1
The Ascension 40 days after Easter and
Corpus Christi 60 days after Easter

I find the requirements of the Catholic Church refreshing. Although most Methodists were sure to attend church on Christmas and Easter, those were the only days I can remember overfull pews. Of course, our Catholic Church wasn't overfull at the 5:30pm Mass last night (judging by the parking lot when I pulled in at 6:30pm), it was about the same size crowd as a normal Saturday evening mass... and there were two other masses held earlier in the day.

Faith should demand something of us.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



powered by FreeFind