<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 21, 2005

Et Tu 

Peggy Noonan has some thoughts on the President's speech yesterday:
Americans, countrymen, and Republicans! hear me for my cause; and be silent, that you may hear: believe me for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that you may believe: censure me in your wisdom, and awake your senses, that you may the better judge. If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend of Bush’s, to him I say, that my love to 'W' was no less than his. If then that friend demand why I rose against Bush, this is my answer: Not that I loved 'W' less, but that I loved America more. Had you rather the President were successful, and die all failures, than that Bush were seen as stupid, to live all as you have been? As 'W' loved me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honour him; but, as he was ambitious, I slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his ambition. Who is here so base that would be a Democrat? If any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so rude that would not be an American? If any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so vile that will not love his country? If any, speak; for him have I offended. I pause for a reply.

None, Peggy, none.

Then none have I offended. I have done no more to Bush, than you shall do to me.
You can click on the top link to see Noonan's real article since the above is, of course, the speech Brutus gave after killing Caesar in Shakespeare's play "Julias Caesar." I thought it fitting since Ms. Noonan complains so strongly against the President's ambition. I wonder, after reading Noonan, whether it was she who would have liked to replace Bush's retiring head speech writer, and whether, perhaps, she was not asked. If you want to read Antony's reply to Brutus, in defense of Caesar, read it here. I'm sure you remember how it starts, "Friends, Romans Countrymen, lend me your ears!"

Update: I understand that President Bush has been much inspired lately by the book "The Case for Democracy" by Natan Sharansky.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



powered by FreeFind