<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Resurrection 

Galia Finker, Light and Darkness

I've been unable to find an image of the Resurrection that I like. The Bible informs so many paintings, but not the Resurrection; how can you paint a mystery? Oh, well, the Shroud, yes, but that's more an image of the Crucifixion, isn't it. I want a painting that combines the Genesis story, "Let There Be Light," and the Salvation story, "I Am the Light." I want a painting where the Magi, adoring the babe, somehow blend and shift into the women at the empty tomb. I want Christ erupting from the Star of Bethlehem. I want too much, obviously, and that's why I can't find it.

Galia Finker's painting, above, called "Light and Darkness," may not have anything to do with the Resurrection, but somehow I see in the image an idea of the Son slipping back into place with the Father and the Holy Spirit. I see Creation amid Darkness. I like the arms of the Son, crossed for a blessing, the blue of baptismal water and the rusty color of blood. I like the little smile on the face of the Father, the hint of femininity in the face of the Holy Spirit and the way the three figures begin to fit together as one. I like all those things, perhaps none of which were the artist's intent, but does that matter?

What matters is Easter, new life where once was only death, and I hope all who read this will have a joyous day. Thanks to all who have prayed for me and wished me well. You're words are most appreciated.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



powered by FreeFind